Mayo County Council logo

Transcript: Intro and Overview


Planning permission is required by law for the development of land or property unless the development is specifically exempted from this need. It is obtained from the relevant planning authority dealing with the specific area.

When do I need planning permission?

Generally, you need planning permission for any development of land or property unless the development is specifically exempted from this need. The term development includes the carrying out of works (building, demolition, alteration) on land or buildings or the making of a material (i.e. significant) change of use of land or buildings.

Are there different types of permission?

  • Outline Permission
  • Permission Following the Grant of Outline Permission
  • Full Planning Permission
  • Permission for Retention

Where do I apply for Planning Permission?

Planning Permission is obtained from the planning authority for your area i.e. Mayo County Council, Ballina Town Council, Castlebar Town council or Westport Town Council.

How long will it take?

This will be affected by the completeness of the application and by whether there is an appeal or not. Generally speaking a properly completed application will be dealt with by a planning authority in 3 months from the date of application to the final grant of a permission.

Can I consult the planning authority in advance?

You do not have to consult the planning authority before making a planning application but it is often advisable to do so where you are unsure of local planning policies, how to apply, etc. Mayo County Council offers Planning Clinics in the local area offices on Wednesday mornings between 9.30 am and 12.30 pm.

What information must be contained in a valid planning application?

There may be specific requirements depending on the type of development you want permission for.  However, in general, a valid application must always:

    • Meet all the requirements for public notice (newspaper notice and site notice)
    • The name and address of the applicant, the area and location of the land or structure concerned and the legal interest of the applicant
    • Contain all the required plans, maps and drawings and a schedule listing the plans, maps and drawings
    • Be accompanied by the page of the newspaper showing the newspaper notice and a copy of the site notice erected
    • Be accompanied by the appropriate fee


Planning Clinics

Planning Clinics are held at the following Mayo County Council Offices every Wednesday between 09:30 to 12:30  (unless otherwise stated in the clinic update below)


Arran Place


Kilmaine Road


Church Road


Aras an Chontae


Kilcommon Road


Station Road


Ballinrobe Road

No prior appointment is necessary to avail of this service.

Clinic Update:

Planning Clinics will resume on the 9th Jan. 2019, there will be no planning clinics on the 2nd Jan 2019



Current News


The Northern & Western Regional Assembly has published a Draft Regional Spatial and Economic Strategy (RSES) for the region. This will replace the current Regional Planning Guidelines and is drawn up in conjunction with the various enterprise and economic development agencies.

The consultation period for making submissions on the Draft RSES to the Regional Assembly is open until 5pm on 9th February 2019.

The Draft RSES and supporting documents are available to view/download from

Updated: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 10:09:53 GMT

Forward Planning Updates

Mayo County Development Plan Review Process is paused until after the Regional Spatial & Economic Strategy (RSES) is published.

The RSES is due to be published in early 2019, please check back then for further updates on the preparation of the County Development Plan.


Tools & Resources

  More Mayo County Council and Local Government Websites