Mayo County Council logo

Other Exempted Developments

Other Exempted Developments

Click on the type of development you want to carry out?

Note:  Please view General Notes on Exempted Development for more information.

Fences & Landscaping

Can I erect walls, fences and gates?

Capped walls made of brick, stone or block with a decorative finish, railings and wooden fences can be erected as long as they do not exceed 1.2 metres in height in front of your house or 2 metres at the side or rear. If the wall is made of plain blocks or mass concrete it must be plastered. Gates and gateways may be built or replaced providing they do not exceed 2 metres in height. You will need planning permission if you wish to make a new or wider access to the public road.

Can I build paths, ponds and patios?

Car parking spaces, hard surfacing, garden paths, garden ponds and patios etc. are exempt once they are not more than 1 metre above or below existing ground level. There are no other limitations to the rear of the house but no more than 2 car parking spaces to the side or front of the house are exempt.

Top of Page

Internal & External Works

Can I carry out internal alterations, external repairs and maintenance?

You can carry out any internal alterations you wish as long as you do not alter the domestic use of the house.  External works of repair, maintenance and improvement such as painting or replastering do not need planning permission so long as they do not materially affect the external appearance, thus rendering the appearance inconsistent with neighbouring buildings. You may need approval for certain external alterations e.g, a new connection to a sewer.

This exemption does not apply to buildings listed for preservation in the local development plan or draft development plan nor to the subdivision of a house into flats or granny flats. Planning permission must be obtained for such works.

Can I convert my garage to domestic use?

The conversion for use as part of a dwelling house (e.g. as a living room or bedroom) of a garage, store. shed, etc. attached to the rear or side of a house is normally exempted development, subject to the 40 square metre limit and conditions as set out the "Can I Build an Extension?" Question.

Top of Page

Can I demolish an old building?

You can demolish without permission a building other than-

  • a habitable house, or
  • a protected structure or a proposed protected structure;
  • a building in a terrace or one which is attached to another building in separate ownership.

However, it does not automatically follow that you will get permission to build a replacement.

It also includes a building where the last permitted use was as a house, even if it has been in unauthorised use since.

habitable house includes a structure which was last used as a dwelling even if it is now in an unlivable condition.

Top of Page

Can I build a chimney and a boiler house?

A boiler house or a chimney for a central heating system or an oil storage tank (up to 3,500 litres capacity) is exempted development.

Top of Page

Can I put up a television aerial?

A radio or TV aerial on your roof is exempt once it does not exceed 6 metres in height above the roof. A satellite dish up to 1 metre across and below the top of the roof is exempted development only to the rear or side of the house. A dish to the front needs permission.

Top of Page

Can I store caravans and boats?

One caravan or one boat may be stored in your garden for up to 9 months of the year as long it is not lived in or used for business purposes.

Top of Page

Can I put up advertisements?

You do not need permission for domestic advertisements up to 0.3 square metres in area, such as your house name or number and "Beware of Dog" type signs. If selling or letting your house the size increases to 0.6 square metres but only one advertisement. is allowed and it may not be left up any longer than 7 days after the sale or letting.

Top of Page

Planning Clinics

Planning Clinics are held at the following Mayo County Council Offices every Wednesday between 09:30 to 12:30  (unless otherwise stated in the clinic update below)


Arran Place


Kilmaine Road


Church Road


Aras an Chontae


Kilcommon Road


Station Road


Ballinrobe Road

No prior appointment is necessary to avail of this service.

Clinic Update:

All planning clinics operating as normal



Current News


The Northern & Western Regional Assembly has published a Draft Regional Spatial and Economic Strategy (RSES) for the region. This will replace the current Regional Planning Guidelines and is drawn up in conjunction with the various enterprise and economic development agencies.

The consultation period for making submissions on the Draft RSES to the Regional Assembly is open until 5pm on 9th February 2019.

The Draft RSES and supporting documents are available to view/download from

Updated: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 10:09:53 GMT

Forward Planning Updates

Mayo County Development Plan Review Process is paused until after the Regional Spatial & Economic Strategy (RSES) is published.

The RSES is due to be published in early 2019, please check back then for further updates on the preparation of the County Development Plan.


Tools & Resources

  More Mayo County Council and Local Government Websites