Mayo County Council logo


Local Authority Housing

Local Authority housing has traditionally been the main option for those who could not afford decent housing from their own resources. While other housing options have been introduced in recent years, local authorities remain the main providers of social housing, making available a range of rented housing to meet a variety of accommodation needs. 

Do I Qualify?

If you are in need of housing and unable to provide it from your own resources, you may apply for local authority housing. In assessing your application, the local authority will take into account such factors as household size, household income, your present accommodation (if any), the condition of that accommodation and any special circumstances including age, disability, medical circumstances etc. If you feel that you qualify for local authority housing, talk to your local Municipal District Office, contact details are provided below. 

Where do I apply?

You should submit a fully completed Application Form for Social Housing Support together with all required supporting documentation to your local Municipal District office. Contact details are provided below.

Note: If any of the documentation required as part of your application is missing or if your application is incomplete, your housing application will be deemed invalid and will be returned to you. 

Application to Mayo County Council for Social Housing Support (PDF - 646 KB) 

Can I buy my house from the local authority?

In January 2016 a new scheme for the purchase of existing local authority houses came into effect. Please see link below for further information on the scheme. 

What if I Don't Qualify?

If you don't qualify, the local authority will inform you and explain the reasons for their decision. The authority can provide information and offer advice on other housing options available - e.g.  Affordable Housing, Local authority housing loans etc.

For more information: Please visit your nearest Housing Municipal District section.

Contact details for Housing

Housing Office,
College House,
Station Road,
Co. Mayo
(094) 9251495

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Unit
Housing Office,
College House,
Station Road,
Co. Mayo
(094) 9251495

Rental Accomodation Scheme (RAS) Unit
College House
Station Road
(094) 9251495

Ballina Municipal District Offices
Ballina Civic Offices
Arran Place
(096) 76100

Claremorris Municipal District Offices
Kilcolman Road
Claremorris: (094) 9372310

Ballinrobe Housing Office:
Kilmaine Road
Balinrobe: (094) 9541111

West Mayo Municipal District Offices
Belmullet Civic Centre
Church Road
(097) 81004

Westport Housing Office

Altamount Street
(098) 50400

Castlebar Municipal District Office
Áras an Chontae
The Mall
094 9024444

Online Services

Can't find what you need?

Report issues with potholes, paths, drainage/flooding, public lighting, illegal dumping and other issues online via the website.

  More Mayo County Council and Local Government Websites