Welcome to the Motor Taxation Section of Mayo County Council.
Mayo County Council's Motor Tax Offices issue:
Please note, over the counter transactions must be carried out at the Motor Tax Office in the county in which the vehicle is ordinarily kept. Postal applications should also be made to the Motor Tax Office in the county in which the vehicle is ordinarily kept.
Ownership changes for vehicles registered on or after 1 January, 1993 are dealt with by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Computer Services Division, Shannon Town Centre, Co Clare. (Phone: 061 365000 or Lo Call 1890 411 412.) Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Trade Plates are special registration plates obtained by motor traders/repairers in order to transport vehicles on the road which may not yet have been registered or taxed. The uses of these plates by motor traders/repairers are restricted to legitimate uses in connection with the motor trade. They are issued for a period of one calendar year.
The fees for Trade Plates are €353 for a pair of plates (€86 replacement)
To apply for a Trade Plate, you will need:
1. Application Form RF700 fully completed
2. Garage Code or Motor Dealer Identity Number must be given - this code is obtained from the Department of Transport by the motor trader
3. VAT number must be included on the form.
4. Rate Account number or Planning permission number and date permission granted, i.e. evidence of valuation for rating purposes of the applicant's premises or, if the premises are new and not yet valued, evidence of Planning Permission.
5. Application must be accompanied by motor trader insurance policy.
Changes to the requirements for first licensing of Heavy Goods Trailers
From 29th October 2012, there are new rules coming into effect in relation to the first licensing in Ireland of heavy goods trailers.
A Heavy Goods Trailer is a trailer with a Gross Vehicle Design Weight greater than 3500 Kgs.
For more information, please read the following document Heavy Goods Trailers Stakeholder Note amendeded Oct 2012 (PDF, 582 KB)
All of the relevant forms are listed below:
Google Map to Motor Tax Section (external link; opens new window)
Phone: (094)90 47600
Opening Hours: Castlebar - 9:30am-3pm, Mon-Fri, open through lunch.
Note: Ballina and Belmullet Motor Tax are open 9:30am-12:45pm and 2pm-3pm, Mon-Fri