Mayo County Council logo

Motor Caravans

Motor Caravans

The Motor Tax definition of a Motor Caravan has recently been amended to bring it in line with the Revenue definition and is as follows:

A vehicle of category M with living accommodation space which contains the following equipment as a minimum:

(a) seats and table;

(b) sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;

(c) cooking facilities;

(d) storage facilities.

This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment. However, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

There is no longer any interior height restriction

In order to tax a motor caravan, the vehicle must have a body type Motor Caravan in the Vehicle Registration Certificate (D.3 on VRC)

If it does not and you wish to tax the vehicle as a motor caravan the revenue conversion procedure must be followed before the body type can be changed to motor caravan-click here for Revenue Conversion procedure

 If you are converting a vehicle to a Motor Caravan and if the vehicle is already registered in Ireland as a car or MPV or other EU category M1/Revenue VRT Category A vehicle, you do not need to send the conversion documentation to Revenue. Instead the documentation should be sent directly to the Motor Tax Office. Click here for procedure


Any motor caravan first registered on or after 1st January 1980 and which is registered for more than 4 years must have a current Certificate of Roadworthiness (CRW) when being taxed.

A motor caravan which is registered for more than 4 years and less than 10 years must be tested every 2 years and the CRW lasts for 2 years from the date of the test.

A motor caravan registered for 10 years or more and on or after 1st January 1980 must be tested annually and the CRW lasts for 1 year from the date of the test.

A CRW is not required for a motor caravan first registered before 1st January 1980

The cost of a CRW, either heavy or light, for a caravan is €6.

It is now possible to tax a motor caravan online provided the  CRW is valid for vehicles over 4 years old.

Online Services

Can't find what you need?

Report issues with potholes, paths, drainage/flooding, public lighting, illegal dumping and other issues online via the website.

  More Mayo County Council and Local Government Websites