Mayo County Council logo

Public Service Vehicles

Large and Small Public Service Vehicles


When taxing a Large PSV, you must produce an original current LPSV Licence for the vehicle being taxed. The licence must be in your name. If the vehicle is registered for a year or more, a CRW must be in force.

A Large PSV licence is issued by the Gardai for a specific vehicle

The number of seats stated in the National Vehicle and Driver File,(NVDF) is the number of passenger seats. This is because the rate of motor tax for a LPSV is based on the number of passenger seats. It is very important that the number of seats in the NVDF agrees with the number of passenger seats stated on your LPSV licence.

If you present with a different number of seats, the NVDF must be updated with the correct number, ie the number on the current LPSV licence, and a new vehicle registration cert must be issued.

You must also produce a current Certificate of Insurance covering the vehicle as a LPSV.


When taxing a Small PSV you  must produce a current SPSV licence for the vehicle being taxed. The licence must be your name except in the case of lease arrangements (see below).  If the vehicle is being taxed as an SPSV for the first time in your name,the SPSV declaration must be completed.

A Small PSV licence is issued by the National Transport Authority for a specific vehicle and lasts for one year.

On some occasions, you may not be in a position to produce a current SPSV license, even though one has issued. Click here to view the online register of licenses and then click on the Vehicle Licenses tab to get details of your Small PSV licence.

This register will confirm details of the SPSV licence and a copy of the licence can be printed off.

Lease of SPSV

In a small number of cases, the person who was issued a Small PSV licence  (spsv) for a particular vehicle may allow that vehicle to be used by somebody else as an SPSV. This is normally done by a lease arrangement. The person using the vehicle may then wish to tax the vehicle in their own name. In that case, the name on the Small PSV licence will be different to that of the person taxing the vehicle. However, as the SPSV licence is issued in respect of a specific vehicle, we can tax the vehicle in that persons name provided the person is the registered owner of the vehicle and provided the SPSV licence is current for the vehicle being taxed. However, in that case, the person taxing the vehicle must produce proof that he/she is appropriately insured to use the vehicle as an SPSV. This proof will be required each time he/she is taxing the vehicle. The normal SPSV declaration will also be required on first taxing the vehicle.

Online Services

Can't find what you need?

Report issues with potholes, paths, drainage/flooding, public lighting, illegal dumping and other issues online via the website.

  More Mayo County Council and Local Government Websites