Mayo County Council logo

Barking Dogs

Barking Dogs Infomation

Excessive barking which causes a nuisance to any person is an offence.

 You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Section 25 of Control of Dogs Act 1986. Where it appears to the District Court that a nuisance has been created as a result of excessive barking, the Court may

  • Order you to abate the nuisance by exercising due control over the dog.
  • Make an order limiting for such period as may be specified in the order the number of dogs to be kept by you on your premises.
  • Direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden to be dealt with by him in accordance with the provisions of the Control of Dogs Act, 1986, as if the dog were an unwanted dog.

Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by completing a special form (see below) under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986 (External Link).

Online Services

Can't find what you need?

Report issues with potholes, paths, drainage/flooding, public lighting, illegal dumping and other issues online via the website.

  More Mayo County Council and Local Government Websites