Mayo County Council logo

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a Dog Licence?

Dog licences may be purchased online or from your local Post Office.

Are there any rules with regards to having a dog licence?

In order to obtain a dog licence, you must be over 16 years of age. It is an offence for you to keep a dog over 4 months old unless you have a licence. Your dog must be accompanied by and be under your effective control or the control of another responsible person if it is outside your home or premises or the home or premises of the person in charge of it. You can be requested by a dog warden to produce evidence of your dog licence and failure to do so can result in an on-the-spot fine.

How do I reclaim my dog from the pound?

To reclaim your dog from the pound, you will have to pay a re-claim fees and produce a current dog licence. If you do not have a current dog licence, you must obtain one on line or from your local post office before collecting your dog.

If I find a stray dog what do I do?

  • Return the dog to its owner if you can get the owners details easily from the dog’s collar
  • If you are unable to find the owner you can contact the Dog Warden
  • Keep the dog yourself.  In this case you must give written notice giving the description of the dog, the address of the place where it was found, the address of the place where it is kept to the Gardai or Dog Warden
  • If the dog owner does not claim the dog within a year you may become the owner of the dog.
  • It is unlawful to hand a stray dog over to any person or agency except the dog’s owner, Dog Warden or the Gardai

If you find a stray dog you can report it to us - Veterinary Dept - 094 -9024444  email:

Missing your dog?

If you want to report a missing dog please email us your Dog's details to the following email address:

  • Breed, if know
  • Size, Colour, Age, Any distinguishing marks
  • Details of tag and collar
  • Gender
  • Microchip number
  • Date  and location of where dog was last seen
  • Contact details
  • Recent photograph not greater than 2 MB in file size if possible

If a dog is barking what can I do?

Excessive barking which causes a nuisance to any person is an offence.

You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Section 25 of Control of Dogs Act 1986. Where it appears to the District Court that a nuisance has been created as a result of excessive barking, the Court may

  • Order you to abate the nuisance by exercising due control over the dog.
  • Make an order limiting for such period as may be specified in the order the number of dogs to be kept by you on your premises.
  • Direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden to be dealt with, in accordance with the provisions of the Control of Dogs Act, 1986, as if the dog were an unwanted dog.

Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by completing a special form (see below) under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986 (External Link).


Some of this information is not currently available in English. To view this information it its entirety in Irish, please click the “Irish” tab at the top of the page.

Online Services

Can't find what you need?

Report issues with potholes, paths, drainage/flooding, public lighting, illegal dumping and other issues online via the website.

  More Mayo County Council and Local Government Websites